What's new for you this year?

More
1 month 4 days ago #93 by daedae
daedae created the topic: What's new for you this year?
I got a little carried away with VSTis this fall... there was this special from SoundIron that had a bunch of percussion and other random stuff: www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/k...oundiron-offer-2017/

And then I also took advantage of discounted crossgrade pricing to upgrade my Komplete 8 to Komplete Ultimate 11, so that came with lots more fun synths, sampled instruments, and percussion.

And my wife is suggesting I order myself a late birthday/christmas present of the Artiphon Instrument 1, which I stumbled across and have developed a mild obsession with...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lunarsight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 4 days ago #94 by Aged Machine
Aged Machine replied the topic: What's new for you this year?
I did the Komplete Ultimate 11 upgrade, myself - Haven't had time to explore all the new bells and whistles yet, but then -- that's what February is for!

More
1 month 4 days ago #95 by onewordheadline
onewordheadline replied the topic: What's new for you this year?
I am an unrepentant pedal addict. I discovered a local FB group for trading/selling stuff, so I've been all over new pedals this year. At the time of the challenge last year, I think I had 11 pedals on my board. Now I have 19, plus some others that aren't in the chain right now. I can only really play (very rudimentary) guitar, so this is my jam. My pedalchain is divided into three sections:

Clean ambient section:

MXR Custom Comp > EQD Grand Orbiter > EQD Afterneath > EQD Disaster Transport Jr > Mooer ShimVerb Pro

This goes directly into my front-of-amp chain:

Korg Pitch Black > EQD Arrows > Ibanez Mini Tube Screamer > Malekko Sloika MkII > ProCo Rat 2 > EQD Monarch > DOD Boneshaker > Mooer Lofi Machine

Then in the loop I have:

Joyo Vintage Phase > EQD Hummingbird > Hardwire DL-8 > Boss DM-2w > Boss DD-2 > DigiTech DigiDelay

Yes. Drive and delay for days and days. Still trying to hunt down a trade for an EQD Acapulco Gold and an EHX Nano POG.

More
1 month 4 days ago #96 by L17Tim
L17Tim replied the topic: What's new for you this year?

onewordheadline wrote: Joyo Vintage Phase

You talked me into buying one of these. It's awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: onewordheadline

More
1 month 4 days ago #102 by Soundsmith Kamachi
Soundsmith Kamachi replied the topic: What's new for you this year?
After contemplating for almost one year I have bought a Roli Seaboard (if you are not familiar with this, it is a multidimensional polyphonic keyboard controller, which gives you expression capabilities more similar (or beyond) to that of a string instrument) To use its potential fully, it requires to have MPE capable soft- or hardware synths. Two came already with the Seaboard (Equator and Strobe2), and luckily some of those I own are MPE synths too. This, plus my slection of analog / physical modelling emulations will mainly determine this year`s album. Thinking of a snappy title I decided to call this "Organic Electronic Music".
And there is finally a new laptop, the old one was showing a blue screen too foten during RPM 2017.
Oh, and I have to admit I signed up for the Roland cloud, so you might hear some of their monster synth emulations on the album too :-)

More
1 month 4 days ago #104 by daedae
daedae replied the topic: What's new for you this year?
Nice! I was looking at the Seaboard Block as well, but I have 88- and 49-key keyboards that I already fumble around on, so I wasn't sure I'd be able to take full advantage of the Seaboard's features. Some of the Roli webpages also seem to strongly encourage you to use their synths and are cagey about how well they will or won't work with Kontakt, Massive, etc (maybe because of the MPE dealie). The Artiphon is a more familiar form factor, and while it also comes with its own synths, they seem to be more encouraging of using other instruments, including offering a Kontakt instrument that already has a lot of the mappings done for you.

More
1 month 4 days ago #107 by Soundsmith Kamachi
Soundsmith Kamachi replied the topic: What's new for you this year?
Actually Roli gives a lot of useful details about how to configure each MPE synth to use its full potential, so I would not see them as cagey. MPE is a standard (also in LInnstrument or Madronalabs Soundboard, plus few more) - it is then up to the SW/HW developers to support the protocol as much as possible.
Playing the Seaboard properly is a challenge (I practice for several weeks now), since there are so many dimensions of touch and movement.
It has one plus even when you switch it to simple MIDI - polyphonic aftertouch, soemthing I been missing since I sold my Ensoniq EPS many years ago.

I heard only briefly about the Artiphon - is that both controller and synth in one?

More
1 month 4 days ago #108 by daedae
daedae replied the topic: What's new for you this year?
Ah, maybe it was just a different doc I stumbled across. I mean, it's clear that ultimate the Roli instruments are MIDI compatible, but whatever I found seemed to encourage you just to use their synths, or at the very least judge it based on the way it performed with their synths and not on what you could do with your other synths.

As much as I can tell, the Artiphon is in a similar situation -- it's a MPE compatible MIDI controller and they provide a couple synths to get started with it (it also has an on-board speaker so if you are using iOS synths you can play them back).

More
1 month 4 days ago #112 by annok
annok replied the topic: What's new for you this year?
My mind-blowing technology upgrade: a USB microphone. No more February 4-tracking here; I'm modern.

More
1 month 4 days ago #115 by Matt Parker
Matt Parker replied the topic: What's new for you this year?
I signed up for the Slate Digital everything bundle this year. I’ve already used it on one album and I can definitely hear the difference.

This will also be my first RPM with me drumming. I’ve always programmed before, but I’ve started playing again in the last 18 months after getting a set of e-drums

Time to create page: 0.351 seconds